A new study by Gilles Eric Serralini et al. seems to show a connection between cancer and two products of the American Biotechnology Corportation Monsanto:
– Roundup, a herbicide developed around 1970
– Roundup ready corn , corn that was genetically modified to survive the treatment with Roundup.
The rats used in the study were divided into four grups
1. Group, Control Group: no feeding with Roundup or GMO´s (genetically modified organisms)
2. Group: fed with RR corn
3. Group: fed with RR corn treated with Roundup
4. Group: given Roundup in drinking water, no RR corn
Results: every treated group has shown an increased cancer rate, e.g. the females of the 2nd,3rd and 4th group had 2-3 times more cancer than the control group.
But there was a lot of criticism on the study: the control group was quite small, among other methodical problems.
But even if the study´s wrong, it is nothing new that pesticides such as Roundup are dangerous for the human health, and the environment.
Monsanto logo: wikipedia
Roundup bottle: http://www.roundup.com.au/